Osteoporosis, Bone and Mineral Metabolism
- ○ Evaluation and management of osteoporosis
- ○ Evaluation and management of osteomalacia
- ○ Evaluation of hypercalcemic disorders including hyperparathyroidism
- ○ Paget disease of bone
- ○ Developmental disorders of bone
Osteoporosis related fractures carry significant morbidity, this can be prevented. A bone mineral density (DXA SCAN) and thorough evaluation is indication for following group of patients.
- ○ Advanced age (All women 65 yrs of age or older, Men more than 70 yrs)
- ○ Previous fracture
- ○ Long term glucocorticoid therapy ≥ 3 month
- ○ Low body weight < 127 lb or BMI < 20 kg/m2
- ○ Family history of osteoporotic fracture
- ○ Cigarette smoking
- ○ Men and women age 50-70 yrs if risk factors present such as glucocorticoid use , rheumatoid arthritis m hypogonadism, malabsorption , early menopause, chronic liver disease, Inflammatory bowel disease, hyperparathyroidism etc.